Monday, November 17, 2008

Television, texts, and Audiences

In Chapter 10, "Television, Texts, and Audiences", Barker talks about
Television Audiences and Cultural Identity, and it got me thinking of
the way other countries must view the United States. They basically get
their ideas through our television shows. I am taking an Intercultrual
Communications class, and I learned that there are only two shows here
in the U.S. that is broadcasted in every single country-- and that is
Jerry Springer and Baywatch. If those are the shows that people most
associate Americans with, then I am embarrassed! Also, my professor went
around and asked all the students not from America what they thought
Americans were going to be like before they moved here. The answers
shocked me! Basically, I heard that all Americans were going to be
overweight, wear white tube socks all the time, and wear silly shorts.
Where are these people getting these ideas from? Television.

No comments: