Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Sex Comedy

I am in no way, shape, or form a feminist. In fact, sometimes I look at things and think
that maybe other people are over-thinking it, such as The Second Sex article we read. It
is not ignorance, it is just how I feel after being educated. Now, as I said I am not a
feminist, but I do think it is unfair how socirtey judges men and woman on different
scales. In The Sex Comedy chapter, it is said that women used to be (and still are to
some extent) looked down upon if they were having sex before marriage. Ok, that is
understandable, but wait...if they are having sex unmarried then that means the men
they are having sex with must be unmarried as well (unless they are in fact married!) So
then how does that make only the woman be looked down upon when the men must
have the same exact statistic? It is like in our day and age when a girl is called a slut for
sleeping around a lot, but a man is called a playyyyya, good with the ladies, pimpppin it.

On page 54, "Pillow Talk" is quoted. "Before marriage, a man is like a tree in the forest,
he stands there, independent, an entity onto himself. Then he's cut down, his branches
are cut off...." This made me dissapointed. I do not want to get married if a man feels
like that. Is that true of men? But wait, why is it that only men are affraid of marriage?
In fact, I am terrified of it. More and more women I know are choosing carreer over
marriage just like men tend to do, so the times are changing.
So in conclsion, while I think our society has come a long way to view women as equals,
there are stll definite holes..and they need to be patched.

No comments: