Up until now, I did not realize how many genres there are under Romantic Comedy, and that the rom com affects society, and society affects the rom com. Now having read McDonalds Romantic Comedy, I see those differences in the sub-genre's and I have also wondered what I would classify as today's sub-genre of the rom com. See, we had the regular romantic comedy, where boy meets girl, boy looses girl, and then boy gets girl back. Then we have the sex comedy where we see the couple fight and insult eachother, only to end up falling in bed together at the end. After that, we have the radical romantic comedy where the emphasis on making sure the couple end up together in the end is abandoned. And then we have the neo-tradional romantic comedy, where it is more dramaful and the importance of tears is shown. It is more of a realistic type of romantic comedy and shows the actual problems of mainting a long lasting relationship. After taking all this into consideration, I would say that today we incoorporate all of these genres. Because of the variety of our culture, I don't think we have one sub-genre that we stick with. Each rom com we see has its own element to it, and, for example, could includes aspects from the sex comedy WITH neo-tradional.
Sunday, October 12, 2008
McDonald's Romantic Comedy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment