De Beauvoir brought up some very interesting points throughout her article, but I have picked two to share. She says that Benda writes,'The body of man makes sense in itself quite apart from that of woman, whereas the latter seems wanting in significance by itself ... Man can think of himself without woman. She cannot think of herself without man.’ There are many examples from pop culture today that imply that woman cannot think of herself without man When I read this, I immediately thought of the clip we saw in class from Fatal Attraction. The two ladies were fighting over Michael Douglas because they just cant seem to live without him, especially the Glen Close character. I must have to admit that I agree with Kara's discussion "Pissing off the feminists." I think that she may be generally stating that all women feel oppressed, when I, personally, feel nothing of the sort. "Are not women of the harem more happy than women voters? Is not the housekeeper happier than the working-woman? It is not too clear just what the word happy really means and still less what true values it may mask. There is no possibility of measuring the happiness of others, and it is always easy to describe as happy the situation in which one wishes to place them." I really agree with this quote. Who are we to judge other people's happiness? De Beauvoir writes this beautiful article, but may not take into account that some women don't feel the same way as she does.
Monday, September 15, 2008
The Second Sex
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment