Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ethnography at Starbucks

I must say I made some pretty good observations while sitting at my local Starbucks. As I walked in, I saw two
girls and a guy sitting at a table drinking and talking. I wondered what their relationship was to each-other. I then
ordered my drink and sat down to the side with pen and paper in hand. A man and woman enter, and I see that
they are co-workers. He was asking questions about her directing (I was at the Starbucks across from Warner
Bros).
The girls behind the counter were talking about one of their boyfriends, or shall I say complaining. An older couple
sat down outside, without ordering a drink, and were there the whole time I was. Lastly, I saw two hot guys come
in, and observed myself observing them! Hehe.
I later came to find that the two girls I saw when I first walked in, were in fact workers on their break. So, I
wondered if the guy came to visit? Is he just a friend, or does he want more? He started massaging one of the girls
but she pulled away. Girls can sense if a guy likes her, and if she doesn't feel the same way back, then a massage
would seem creepy. Poor guy. Their friend walked in, and one of the girls exclaimed, "Oh my god, I love your new
haircut!" She completely left the other guy to see the new one. Interesting. Then I thought of this guy's haircut.
Did he cut it to impress her? Do boys do that? To quote John Berger, an English author, he says that girls get
dressed in the morning and look at themselves in the view that guys would. I wonder if sometimes guys do that.
Or maybe his hair was just getting in his eyes.
The man and woman co-worker, were they just friends? In the 1989 movie, When Harry Met Sally, Harry says that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way. I thought of this when I saw these
two.

The girls standing behind the counter talking about their boyfriends were not very discreet. One asked the other,
"Why don't you just pick nicer guys?" I laughed to myself because it is not that easy, right? They are all nice in the beginning. Later on, I heard another saying "...and then a week later they were dating!" The other girls say,
"Awww, like in the movies!" I immediately thought of the Romantic Comedy and how we girls "love chick flicks"
because we fantasize that one day we will fall in love like in the movies. Here it was, living proof.

No comments: