Thursday, September 11, 2008
The ambiguity in Tennessee Williams' Cat on a Hot Tin RoofThe dictionary's word for word definition of ambiguity is this:
The dictionary's word for word definition of ambiguity is this: am·bi·gu·i·ty: 1. doubtfulness or uncertainty of meaning or intention. 2. an unclear, indefinite, or equivocal word, expression, meaning, etc. All throughout Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, I noticed ambiguity, yes, however I could quickly decipher what everyone was saying, thus not becoming ambiguous to me anymore as the story unraveled. For instance, the relationships between Brick and Maggie, Big Daddy and Big Mamma, Big Daddy and Brick, Gooper and Big Daddy, Brick and Gooper, Maggie and Mae, and Mae and Gooper. Wow! That is a lot of family problems under one roof. Each relationship had its own problems that I picked up on even-though they would not say it so clearly. It was reading in-between the text that made this screenplay ambiguous. The first act was filed with left out information that I was trying to put together slowly, and by the end of the third I understood everything about each relationship..well almost everything. There is always room for interpretation. That is what makes a good screenplay, or any sort of novel, is giving the audience the opportunity to think for themselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment